Top 10 [Classes]
Although its a little scary to think about, I’m about to complete my 4th semester of college. Its a time where i’ve had to look back on the classes i’ve taken and forward to the classes still to come. Looking back, i have some great memories of classes i enjoyed as well as classes i hope to forget about. Without further blah-blah, here are my top 10 favorite classes ive taken thus far.
10. Intro to Engineering. First semester freshman year. 8am. It was then that I first learned to sleep in class. Easy A.
9. Calculus 2. I took this over the summer back home rather than at Harding. I hated having class from 6-9pm twice a week, but it was one of the best decisions i’ve ever made in college.
8. Materials and Manufacturing. My first real engineering course. More importantly, this is when i established “my seat” in which i have sat in 4 subsequent classes.
7. Life of Christ. It was in this class that i met be roommate Benji, and one of my good friends Sophie. Without them, i dont know how i could have managed that 7:30am class.
6. Dynamics. Probably the hardest class i’ve had yet. Hours and hours of studying pays off.
5. Statics. The pre-req to dynamics. It was this class that taught me how to appreciate Dr. Miller, who is now one of my favorite teachers.
4. Circuits. Somehow i pulled off a 90 on the first test when the average was around 60. (that never happens to me)
3. Calculus 1. It wasn’t until i took calc 1 the second time that i really understood it and did well. Dr. Priest is possibly my favorite teacher at harding. Unlike any other science teacher i’ve had, he would pray at the beginning of class, which i loved. He also knew the math so well, and was one of the most caring teachers i’ve ever had.
2. Honors New Testament. Dr. Thompson was incredible. He knows the NT so well, but cared so much. We always had plenty of great discussion in class. He even invited us over to his house one sunday. He was so personable and generous.
1. History of Missions. Although he is a challenging teacher, Dr. Diles is very smart, and has lots of experience as a missionary. The class has taught me so much about missions and inspired me to be more passionate about mission work. Although i probably wont make an A in the class, it has changed my life in a way no other class has.
(oh yeah i have a quiz in this class in 25 minutes.)
Top 10 [Music]
I haven’t posted in forever.. Mainly because i have been very busy. Anyway, here goes!
Top 10 artists/bands as of right now. (like literally this moment. It will probably change by tomorrow.)
10. Mumford and Sons
9. Vampire Weekend
7. Death Cab for Cutie
6. Avett Brothers
5. Matt Costa
4. The Decemberists
3. Fruit Bats
2. Freelance Whales
And because they released a great new album today…
1. Explosions in the Sky
I’m a little bit overwhelmed right now. I’m tired and my mind is running 47 different directions at a thousand miles per hour. My mind is feeling bogged down with so many different things. I’ve been letting everything build up for a few days, and now i feel like im sinking in this confusion. I feel kinda like this: http://j.mp/hMsj0e
I know its my fault that i let things get to me, but i need to get out of this. I need to pour everything out of my head like a pitcher of water on the ground. I just need someone who will listen and care, someone who i can tell everything to. I need a friend who i can trust, who wont tell anyone, who is never too busy, who will accept and forgive me no matter what i say, who will love me unconditionally. Luckily, I have this friend. His name is Jesus Christ.
The Pursuit of Happiness and the Joy of the Lord
I went to church at Covenant yesterday morning as usual. I love it there, the atmosphere is so relaxed and free, and the people are so enthusiastic to be praising God.
Yesterday the speaker talked about Joy. He showed this incredible video of a the joy of a little girl. http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=7PPGLWNX
He talked about how important happiness is to us. He pointed out that everything we do, is rooted in our desire to be happy. Every decision we make is influenced by what makes us happy. Happiness is such a big deal to us as Americans that we consider it a human right. As our Declaration of Independence says:
“…endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
As he continued to talk about our joy, and God who is the source of our joy, i sat and began to realize that i have things backwards. I have been looking for joy in all the wrong places.
Music, good grades, movies, friends; they are all good things, and often help make us happy, but they are not the source of true joy. God alone is the source of joy.
“The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.”
- Albert Einstein
Who I’m most excited to see at Bonnaroo
10. Mumford and Sons
9. Explosions in the Sky
7. The Strokes
6. The Black Keys
5. Neon Trees
4. Amos Lee
3. Arcade Fire
2. Iron and Wine
See the full line up at http://www.bonnaroo.com/artists.aspx
This idea was inspired by: http://ineveryinch.tumblr.com/post/3412687389
a day of like and dislikes; the small things
Things i like:
little notes in the mail
watching a movie in class
surprise meetings in the caf
walking to a street you want to cross and finding it clear
Things i dislike:
being late to class
when people aren’t ticklish
the feeling after eating junk food
Things im just not sure about…
when people ask me if im wearing swimming trunks in the library
Challenges are what make life interesting;
overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.
-Joshua J. Marine